Holiday gift giving can result in an excess of waste – wrapping paper, styrofoam, bubble wrap, plastic packaging – but just how much of that material is recyclable?
A recent article in the Cedar Rapids Gazette seeks to provide a bit of clarity on this issue through the following sorting guide:
- Wrapping paper – not recyclable, must be placed in the garbage
- Tissue paper – not recyclable, must be place in the garbage or reused
- Styrofoam – not recyclable, must be placed in the garbage
- Shirt boxes – recyclable with the tissue paper removed
- Cardboard toy boxes – recyclable with any plastic handles or twist ties removed
- Shredded paper – recyclable, place in a paper bag to reduce the mess
- Plastic bubble wrap – if bubbles are popped can be recycled at grocery stores with plastic bags
For more information on holiday recycling, check out the full article.